Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fear.

Sometimes fear can overtake us.  

Sometimes it can stop us cold in our tracks.

I'm reminded quickly this morning of the fragility of life. 

If you've never met Julee or Kelly through their blogs (I 'met' Julee through her appearances on Kelly's blog obviously), then you're missing out.  

Julee just tragically lost her husband in a car accident.

My first response was to panic, what would I do if I was put in her situation?  Where would I go? How would I support our kids?  What would I do without my best friend for the rest of my life? 

I'm sure these are things she wonders. Pray for her dear friends. 

But back to fear. I was struck with a fear so palpable all I could do was pray. 

I'm quickly drawn to my favorite verse.

2 Timothy 1:7

 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Thank God for a spirit of power, and love, and a sound mind. Fear doesn't have to rule over us!

Jesus had a LOT to say about worry.  Here are a few examples.

Matthew 6:25-27  “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
Matthew 6:34  Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 11:28-30  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Luke 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his  span of life?
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you;my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you.Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

and then Paul gives us another one of my favorites.

Philippians 4:6-7  do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


I'm so glad that I don't have to live in fear. Tomorrow doesn't matter, as long as I live each day according to God's calling on my life, I know that tomorrow will hold whatever it brings and worry doesn't need to consume me. 

And thank God for that peace. That sweet peace that surpasses all understanding. 

Hug your babies tight today, and tell your spouse how much you adore them. But look forward to many more days and don't worry about what the world throws around to cause fear.


No comments:

Post a Comment